Sunday, August 16, 2015

Special anniversary edition

Originally posted August 7, 2014
Ryan’s looking for a mention of him, well today’s entry isn’t going to feature him much at all - tough luck kid, deal with it.

This Friday is our 5th anniversary, that’s right - Jessica has (just about) tolerated me for 5 years - some may say brave, some may say foolish but you should all congratulate her on this achievement!

So to get to here, what happened?  You know, way back, before multiple moves, hurricanes, derecho’s, flooding, plane crashes & vandalism in the neighborhood, jobs we like, jobs we hate(d), redundancy, before Ryan, before a tank masquerading as a car its only saving grace being the best goddamn license plate ever (FACT!) Before Nathan and all that entailed, before Jake, before Nuggy & even before Swine Flu.... that’s right, we’ll go back to the beginning.

It was a typical grim & cold January night, a Thursday so I had the joys of soccer training to look forward to, an activity that while fun & social was becoming more & more of a hardship to recover from.  I had time to spare so loaded up the PC and found a soccer site I’d recently begun surfing, on this site you can create a profile and I happened to see 1 with a grainy poor-res photo.... SoccerGirl was the member name... aha, a Yank, and a woman (probably - it’s the internet after all).  A quick profile browse and all I knew was a rough age range, approx location of DC and a fan of DC United, who I’d heard of, but only on the basis they’d won a few things.

I moved on, only for my personal message notifier to sound an ominous warning - You have 1 new message!.. from SoccerGirl titled “Caught you peeking!”

Ah, this site allows members to view who’s looked at their profile... oh well, could be rude & ignore but what the hell, we obviously have something in common and she’s clearly got confidence & is cheeky.  I can buy into that.  So I reply.

PM’s go back & forward, time flies and suddenly I realize I have to run.  Well, it’s been nice, but I have to go and so long.  Maybe we’ll speak again, but probably not.

I go training, virtually die... honest, I got trampled by a Hippo.. and come home, shower & impulsively switch the PC back on.  SoccerGirl is offline, shame, but a quick PM to say thanks for the chat, good to know someone in USA has a bit of an idea, hope to catch up again for more chats is quickly sent.  As I shut down the PC, I hear the message signal... Damn... it’s nearly midnight.  Oh well, load it back up.  Chat more.  Then realize it’s not a small chat, it’s still midnight, just it’s midnight in DC, and that means without having had any sleep yet, I’m due at work in 2 hours or so.  Bloody woman! 

Our next chat is shared as we watch from opposite sides of the atlantic Man City smash the scum, over time we share more emails and drift away from the site to more direct communication.  Still separated by 3500 miles, it’s not going anywhere is it?

18 months later Jessica told me she was coming to London.  A meet-up was arranged only for me to get food poisoning, like a soldier I manned up and met up 48 hours after we originally planned.  The rest as they say is history.....

I have to mention my family & friends.  I guess I was probably a bit hard to cope with over the previous 5 years or so, I know I didn’t handle the whole “marriage 1” well, because well, when you’re 28 and divorced after 18 months, somethings got to crack to allow steam & stress to creak out.  Perhaps that’s why people were happy for me to leave UK! - In hindsight who I am today & where I am is all because of that, but it’s also because I had support & understanding when I needed it.  There’s too many to mention, but if you read this, you know who you are and how important to me you are.  You enabled me to be happy and I’ll always be indebted to you all.

Obviously the biggest shout-out goes to Jessica, she initiated all of this, sure I stuck around for a while hoping for her to see the blatantly clear fact we should be together to sink in, but in reality the amount of work she put in to get me here, the patience when I couldn’t get a job and the strength to cope with all the baby related ills astounds me.  I’m amazed at the shit sandwich life has often thrown her way, and proud of how she stands up to it all.  Ryan is a lucky boy, and he’ll know his Dad is a lucky man.

Ironically given the midnight references, it’s almost that time again, and it seems appropriate to leave this there.

With lots of love & gratitude to my very own “Warmonger”!

No comments:

Post a Comment